Our mission is to develop, support and campaign for new ways of involving people in the decisions that affect their lives.
During 2019/20 we refreshed our strategy to further focus our work. We identified six new objectives to guide our work in creating healthier more vibrant democracies and achieving long term political and democratic reform:
- Democratic norms – Participation and deliberation are recognised as essential features for a healthy modern democracy by the public, society and decision-makers;
- Political support – People in positions of power and influence across society and the political spectrum understand and actively support the use of participatory and deliberative decision-making;
- Frequent use – There is frequent use of participatory and deliberative processes supported by the right resources (people, budgets) both inside and outside of political institutions;
- Evidence and practice – There is an accessible and well-communicated body of evidence and practice that demonstrates the impact of our vision and how to achieve it;
- Clear standards – There are clear principles and standards that support good practice in delivering and embedding participatory and deliberative processes, which are widely understood and followed;
- Democratic innovations – There is continuous learning and innovation to improve democracy and related practice.
In order to achieve this, our work is focused around three core areas:
Making the case – demonstrating why participation and deliberation are essential features for a healthy modern democracy, and ensuring that those in positions of power and influence understand and support their use in addressing some of the UK’s most intractable issues. Check out our latest thinking.
- Embedding change – building the capacity of public servants and practitioners, and developing the body of evidence, principles and standards that support participatory and deliberative practice. Check out our resources.
- Pioneering practice – encouraging widespread uptake of participatory and deliberative processes, and promoting continuous learning and innovation to improve democracy and deliver lasting solutions in key policy areas. Check out our practical projects.